Followers

Google Website Translator Gadget

Friday, January 15, 2010

What It Means To Be A Musician

Musicians are performers...right? Maybe not, maybe they're really listeners. I remember when I used to perform live people would say to me "Where do you go?" They were referring to the silence that always preceded the concert. I was totally focused on the music I was about to play, and not just the music itself, but to the ideal of giving it my utmost, and I wasn't afraid to take the few moments I needed before I started to play. It always payed off for me. From the point of vew of the audience I sort of disappeared (though physically present on stage). What was I doing? I was tuning into what was the very highest part of myself, so that I could then give that to my listeners. There's a musician in all of us. It's that part of us that hears "life" in our own unique way, and then expresses what we've heard to others.

2 comments:

  1. Betsy, Sebastian Bach is my favorite composer!
    I dabbled in music, and I did some performing choirs, chorale, but painting ultimately won. The discipline is similar though.
    Thanks for the "follow!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bach was certainly a master at his craft wasn't he?

    ReplyDelete